Medical Education Scholarship Loan Program
The State of Oklahoma, administered by the Physician Manpower Training Commission.
To assist Oklahoma's rural communities as approved by PMTC.
2. To provide financial assistance (through a scholarship loan forgiveness
program) to residents of the State of Oklahoma who are enrolled in a medical
college and who have as their goal the practice of primary care medicine
in rural Oklahoma.
Agrees to practice in a qualified Oklahoma rural community.
2. Currently enrolled in (or has been accepted into) a medical college.
3. Plans to do internship/residency in a primary care specialty.
4. Has no other assistance which has a conflicting service obligation requirement.
5. Is a resident of the State of Oklahoma.
Amount of Loan
* $15,000 each for first, second, third, and fourth years. Payable monthly.
Service Obligation: One year of practice in a qualified Oklahoma rural
community for each year of scholarship loan. (Must practice at least two
years for any credit to be given.)
If the medical school graduate goes into a residency program other than in
primary care, payback of three times the principal and accrued interest may
be due immediately.
If the physician decides not to repay his/her obligated scholarship loan
by practicing medicine in rural Oklahoma, he/she may be required to repay
three times the principal amount, plus interest in accordance with the terms
of the contract.
Janie S. Thompson, M.Ed., Programs Coordinator
Physician Manpower Training Commission
5500 North Western Avenue, Suite 201
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
(405) 843-5667 * FAX (405) 843-5792
Return to Rural Medical Education Scholarship Loan